Followers

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Copic Tutorial: Coloring Sand by Ashley Scheffler

Hello Everyone. Ready for part 2 of coloring Sunny Baby? This time the tutorial will be over coloring the sand. Next time we will finish the image and create a card!

Lets get started!

------------
STEP 1
Here is the image and how I left off from the last tutorial (coloring water). This time I am focusing on the sand part of the image. Gather up the colors you want for the sand. I decided to make the sand more brown and could pull in alot of different color familes to achieve the sandy look. I will be using colors : E51, E31, E33, E37, E57, E77. I also use a product called Mudd Puddles at the end as well for more detail.

STEP 2
Using the lightest color (E53..I know this seems odd since its a higher number, but it is the lightest one I am using out of the color choices) color the entire sand area.

STEP 3
Using E31 I wanted to start adding some shadows to the shells and sand toys in the sand.

STEP 4
Using E33, I just went over the entire sand area and did little dots of color. Just hold your marker upright and lightly press down. If you use too much pressure, the dots will expand as the ink soaks into the paper and become larger.

STEP 5
Repeat step 4 but with the colors E37 and E57.

STEP 6
Now it's time to blend and have the dots not stand out as much. I used E33 and colored over the area again. You could use a lighter brown for a lighter coverage.

STEP 7
I wanted to add back in those darker specks you see on a real beach, so I used E77 and did really small black dots randomly over the sand area to bring out the dots again.

STEP 8 (optional)
I really wanted the beack to appear as real life as I could so I used a product called Mudd Puddles. It comes in different colors and different textures. I used the type called Malibu and just put it on in different areas. It spread on so you can do a lot more coverage.

STEP 9
Here is a close-up of the Mudd Puddles!

There you go...
I hope you found this technique helpful. Next time I will be coloring in the rest of the image and making it into a card!! Please leave a comment if this helped you and what other techniques you would love to learn with Copics!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Terrific, Ashley!
I'm going to try to find Mud Puddles.
Where did you buy it?

Scrappin Ashley said...

Thanks Tracey,

I got the Mudd Puddles from
http://www.creekbankcreations.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=859_860

Great website..the guy is always at conventions around the US as well. It comes in different colors too!

Brook said...

Love the tutorial and the image is great with the Mudd Puddles added. Thanks for sharing. I've got to try to get my hands on some of that stuff.

Whimsey said...

FABULOUS; never heard of Mudd Puddles, but how cool is that???

Collette said...

How fun ... I just bought some of this mud puddles from CHA last week ... can't wait to give it a try - you did a great job on the tutorial

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial, I'm following along trying your coloring techniques and really enjoying them.

I hadn't heard of the Mud Puddles, looks like a fun product!

Thanks for doing this, I'd love to see your hair coloring, skin coloring, animals, etc. I'm always on the look out for Copic tutorials that are NOT in a video format. My internet service is from the dark ages and I've been unable to stream video so far.